(16th June 2009)
E-Security Exchange Limited (the “Company” or “we” or “us”) is a limited company registered in Scotland. Registered number 307789. Registered office: Martin Aitken & Co, Caledonia House, 89 Seaward Street, Glasgow G41 1HJ
This document sets out how we use your personal information. By either registering as a user of any services provided by us on this website and by using the website generally you agree to this use.
Use of your Personal Information
1. When you register and use this site:
- You will be asked to provide certain information such as your contact details. We will store this data and hold it on computers or otherwise. We will use this data to fulfil our agreement with you.
- Some of our services will require further details, for example, when using the e-learning service
2. We may use information that you provide or that is obtained by us:
(a) to register you with our website and to administer our website services;
(b) for assessment and analysis (e.g. market, customer and product analysis) to enable us to review, develop and improve the services which we offer and to enable us to provide you and other customers with relevant information through our marketing programme. We may use your information to make decisions about you using computerised technology, for example automatically selecting products or services which we think will interest you from the information we have. We may keep you informed of such products and services (including special offers, discounts, offers, competitions and so on) by any of the following methods:
- SMS or MMS
you will be asked to opt in when providing your details. We may also use your data to tell you of products and services of other companies and organisations which we consider may be of interest to you. If you do not wish to receive information of such products and services, you can opt out at any time using the details at the end or following the link in any marketing email we send you.
(c) To administer any prize draws or competitions you may enter with us.
3. We may add to the information that you provide to us with information that we receive from third parties.
4. In order to protect our customers and us from fraud and theft, we may pass on information that we obtain from making identity checks and other information in our customer records, including how you conduct your account, to other retailers and to financial and other organisations (including law enforcement agencies) involved in fraud prevention and detection, to use in the same way.
Disclosure of Your Information
5. We may give information about you to the following, who may use it for the same purposes as set out above:
(a) to other companies in our group of companies;
(b) to employees and agents to administer any accounts, products and services provided to you by us or any group company now or in the future;
(c) agents who (on our behalf) profile your data so that we may tailor the goods/services we offer to your specific needs;
(d) to other organisations for the administration of prize draws or competitions.
(e) to anyone to whom we transfer or may transfer our rights and duties under our agreement with you;
(f) if we have a duty to do so or if the law allows us to do so.
6. New technologies are emerging on the Internet that help us to deliver customised visitor experiences. In particular, there is a technology called “cookies” which may be used by us to provide you with, for example, customised information from our website. A cookie is an element of data that a website can send to your browser, which may then store it on your system. Cookies allow us to understand who has seen which pages and advertisements, to determine how frequently particular pages are visited and to determine the most popular areas of our website. Depending on the type of cookie we use, cookies also allow us to make our website more user friendly, for example, permanent cookies allow us to save your password so that you do not have to re-enter it every time you visit our website.
If you wish, you can usually adjust your browser so that your computer does not accept cookies. If you do this, you will still be able to browse around the site but the functions that allow you to add items to your trolley, set up a new account or access an existing account will not be available. Alternatively you can adjust your browser to tell you when a website tries to put a cookie on your computer. How you adjust your browser to stop it accepting cookies or to notify you of them, will depend on the type of internet browser programme your computer uses. If your computer uses Microsoft Internet Explorer or Netscape Navigator, go to the heading “Manage Cookies”. Click onto the option you prefer, either stopping cookies being installed, or notifying you of them. From the list provided, click onto the programme which your computer uses. If this is not shown on the list, click on the “help” heading on the bar at the top of this page, search for information on “cookies” – an explanation of how to delete cookies will appear, then follow these instructions. We are not responsible for external websites and their contents.
7. Cookies do not contain confidential information such as your home address, telephone number or credit card details. We do not exchange cookies with any third party websites or external data suppliers.
8. Your browser also generates other information, including which language the site is displayed in, and your Internet Protocol address (“IP address”). An IP address is a set of numbers which is assigned to your computer during a browsing session whenever you log on to the Internet via your internet service provider or your network (if you access the Internet from, for example, a computer at work). Your IP address is automatically logged by our servers and used to collect traffic data about visitors to our websites. We do not use your IP address to identify you personally.
9. We only keep cookies for the duration of your visit to our website, except where you save your login name as referred to above.
10. We do take all commercially reasonable steps to protect your personal information. However, we cannot guarantee the security of any data you disclose online. You accept the inherent security risks of providing information and dealing online over the Internet and will not hold us responsible for any breach of security unless this is due to our negligence or wilful default.
11. For further information about the steps we take to protect your information and make online shopping as secure as possible, please see information on Secure online shopping.
12. You have the right to see personal data (as defined in the Data Protection Act) that we keep about you, upon receipt of a written request and payment of a fee of £10. If you are concerned that any of the information we hold on you is incorrect please contact us (see details below). We can not delete data which relates to corporate records but may correct inaccuracies.
13. Please be aware that our site may link to other websites which may be accessed through our site. We are not responsible for the data policies or procedures or the content of these linked websites.
How can you get your name removed from our mailing list?
If you want to be removed from our mailing list, please send an email to [email protected] with the word ‘remove’ in the subject line and the email address that you wish to be removed within the email. Please note that it may take up to 28 days to action your request. In addition, each electronic mailing we send you will contain details of how you can remove yourself from the mailing list.
How do you get to change any details stored by us?
To change any of your registered details, click on ‘ log in & registration ’ and enter your login name and password. Once logged in change any of the details shown and click ‘update my details’.
For further information please read our Terms and conditions.
Secure online shopping
- Secure online shopping
- Verified by Sage Pay and McAfee
- Security of Personal Information
- How does your browser give protection?
Secure online shopping
As you can imagine, we take security very seriously and make shopping online as safe as we commercially can.
Your browser will go into secure mode as soon as you access the ‘checkout’ or ‘login’ pages, i.e. before you enter any personal or payment details. You can check that you are shopping in a secure environment by looking for either a locked padlock or a key icon in the grey bar at the bottom of your screen.
Being in ‘secure mode’ means that all of your details are encrypted to help keep them secure. Encryption creates billions of code combinations to protect each transaction made on our site, so your card details cannot be viewed by anyone else using the Internet. If you are using one of the more recent browser versions, our site supports 128 bit encryption and therefore keeps your details as safe as possible at all times.
We only accept orders that are placed using Secure Socket Layer (SSL). This technology prevents you from inadvertently revealing personal information using an insecure connection. During payment, we also ask for your card billing address as an additional security check. New security checks like the card signature code have recently been introduced to protect your credit card details online.
No credit or debit card details are stored once your order has been processed. This is why you can save your favourite delivery address but need to enter your card details each time you order.
We recommend that you always close down your Internet browser when you have finished shopping online, especially if you use a shared PC. This will delete temporary Internet cookies from any sites that you may have visited.
Verified by McAfee and Sage Pay
We participate in Sage Pay and McAfee Secure Certification systems for added online payment security. These services are aimed at protecting your details when shopping online by ensuring your card is not used by someone else and represents one of the highest versions of security currently commercially available.
If you would like to learn more about these services or have any difficulty with the process, please contact your card issuer who should be able to assist you, as we are unfortunately not be able to help. Alternatively, you can always place your order by calling us on the number on our website.
Security of your personal details
You may have seen in the press that some customers of banks and online businesses have been receiving fraudulent emails and/or pop-ups. These all have one thing in common: they request individuals to confirm their personal details, credit card details, or user name and password.
We may send you emails from time to time but we would never send an email asking for your security information or log on details, or direct you to a web page that asks for this information.
If you receive an email that appears to be from us that you suspect is fraudulent, do not click on any links contained within the email or provide any credit card or log on details. Please forward a copy to [email protected]
How does your browser protect you and your data?
Most modern web browsers, such as Internet Explorer and Netscape, support ‘secure mode’ and standard security protocols.
Internet Explorer can warn you if the site you are about to send payment details to is secure or insecure. To make this happen, select OPTIONS on the VIEW menu and then click the SECURITY tab. Once all of the warning boxes have been ticked, Internet Explorer will automatically alert you each time you send your private details to another site.
If you use a Netscape browser, you should select SECURITY PREFERENCES from the OPTIONS menu and then click on the GENERAL tab. Tick all of the Security Alert boxes and again, you will be warned when you are sending details to secure and insecure sites.
Online security is constantly evolving so, if you are using older versions of Internet Explorer (version 4 or older versions of IE5), we recommend you update your browser to a later version of IE in order to take full advantage of the improved security features. If you’d like to update your browser, please visit the Microsoft website (we are not responsible for the content of external websites. This will open a new window).